Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Most Wanted Man III

In what I read this week, Le Carré continues the various points of view. I find his way of introducing his character’s backgrounds interesting. He sometimes tells the readers straight out, or leaves it a mystery. In the fifth chapter, the reader learns more of Issa’s background through the German police and the German intelligence. Bachman is talking to his fellow workers about what they want to do with Issa. A fellow worker finds a story connecting Issa to extremists. He says, “In 2003, an investigation was launched by organs of Russian state security into unprovoked armed attacks by militant bandits on law-enforcement officers… Under interrogation, Dombitov confessed that all makes in his cell phone belonged to a militant Salafi group committed to violent acts with the aid of… explosive devices, homemade, low quality, but highly effective” (112). This is obviously dangerous for Issa, because he may have associated with this group. If he is associated, he will be watched more carefully, and he’ll probably be arrested by the police and deported. Annabel realizes that staying at Melik’s house is unsafe for Issa, so she hides Issa at her house. She thinks, “I’m doing this for my client Magomed… I’m doing it for my client Issa. I’m doing it for life over law. I’m doing it for me” (117). When she tells herself this, she is trying to convince herself it’s the right thing to do. She obviously doesn’t want another case like Magomed.

In the last chapter that I read, Brue learns more about the Lipizzaner account through his secretary. He also meets a couple of British intelligence who know his father. Brue thinks, “So you were a British spy, they now tell me. Selling Frères down the river for a British medal. Pity you didn’t feel able to tell me yourself” (151). Brue is wondering about his father’s dealings. What his father does is illegal, and now Brue has to deal with the consequences. The chapter ends with a conversation between Brue and his wife. She asks, “Is it a woman Tommy? I had the impression you’d rather given us up these days” (162). This gives the impression that Brue is becoming enamored with Annabel. This is an interesting complication.

No comments: