Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Blog Question 2 response

Ethics is a complex topic to discuss. There are so many different opinions. In On the Waterfront directed by Elia Kazan, there, too, are different opinions about ‘ratting’ or being a whistle blower. Terry believes that a whistle blower is someone who stands up for the greater good when innocent people are being killed. Father Barry wants whistle blowers to expose the mob corruption and reveal who is killing workers. Father Barry feels God is on the side of those who protect the weak. However, Johnny Friendly disagrees with Terry and Father Barry. Johnny doesn’t support whistle blowers because he is the leader of the corruption and benefits the most from it. Every one must go along with his wishes. Initially, Charlie, Terry’s brother, supports Johnny and his corrupt group until they require Charley to finish off Terry. That is when Charley sees how the mob’s intimidation affects others and he may realize his guilt in all of it.

I believe that I am being a “tattle tale” when I blab something just to get someone in trouble but it doesn’t involve an ethical position I have taken or a cause for something. I may tattle on my brother just to get him out of my hair.
I feel that to be a whistle blower it would require me to take a position on some side of an idea. A whistle blower might be looking out for the good of others not just himself. By informing on someone, the whistleblower might realize that the decision may not benefit him at all. It makes me feel better knowing there might be a mechanic of an airline who whistle- blows. Whistle blowers benefit the greater good.

No comments: